International or regional conventions
The Gambia is a member/signatory to the following international and regional Conventions related to cetacean conservation:
- International Whaling Commission (since 2005)
- Convention on Migratory Species (since 2001)
- The Abidjan convention
“There are relatively few confirmed records, with six sightings occurring in the Niumi National Park located between Barra Point at the Gambia River and the Delta du Saloum Biosphere Reserve. One sighting, two carcasses and one skull are known from the southern coast between Kotu and Sanyang Point.”
Threats and trends
No abundance estimates or detailed information on threats are available for this country.
Report a sighting or stranding by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or contacting one of the country focal points below.
Relevant country-specific references
- Collins, T., 2015. Re-assessment of the Conservation Status of the Atlantic Humpback Dolphin (Sousa teuszii), Using the IUCN Red List Criteria. In Advances in marine biology Volume 72, pp. 47-77). Academic Press.
- Murphy CT, Van Waerebeek K, Jallow AO. 1997. Cetaceans in Gambian coastal waters. International Whaling Commission Report No. SC/49/SM11.
- Van Waerebeek K, Barnett L, Camara A, Cham A, Diallo M, Djiba A, Jallow A, Ndiave E, Ould-Bilal AO, Bamy IL. 2003. Conservation of cetaceans in the Gambia and Senegal, 1999-2001, and status of the Atlantic humpback dolphin. UNEP/CMS. Bonn, Germany.
- Van Waerebeek K, Ndiaye E, Djiba A, Diallo M, Murphy P, Jallow A, Camara A, P. N, Tours P. 2000. A survey of the conservation status of cetaceans in Senegal, the Gambia and Guinea-Bissau Convention on the conservation of Migratory Species: 1 -80.
- Van Waerebeek K, Ndiaye E, Djiba A, Mamadou D, Murphy P, Jallow A, Camara A, Ndiaye P, Tous P. 2003. A Survey of the Conservation Status of Cetaceans in Senegal, the Gambia and Guinea-Bissau, WAFCET-I Report. UNEP/CMS. Bonn, Germany.
- Van Waerebeek, K., Barnett, L., Camara, A., Cham, A., Diallo, M., Djiba, A., Jallow, A.O., Ndiaye, E., Bilal, A.O. and Bamy, I.L., 2004. Distribution, status, and biology of the Atlantic humpback dolphin, Sousa teuszii (Kukenthal, 1892). Aquatic Mammals, 30(1), pp.56-83.
- Weir CR. 2016. Atlantic humpback dolphins Sousa teuszii in the Saloum Delta (Senegal): distribution, relative abundance and photo-identification. African Journal of Marine Science, 38: 385-394.
- Weir CR, Collins T. 2015. A Review of the Geographical Distribution and Habitat of the Atlantic Humpback Dolphin (Sousa teuszii). In: Jefferson TA, Curry BC editors. Advances in Marine Biology Volume 72: Humpback dolphins (Sousa spp.) current status and conservation: Part I. Academic Press. p. 79-117.