International or regional conventions
Ghana is a member/signatory to the following international and regional Conventions related to cetacean conservation:
- International Whaling Commission (since 2009)
- Convention on Migratory Species (since 1988)
- The Abidjan convention
- Memorandum of Understanding Concerning the Conservation of the Manatee and Small Cetaceans of Western Africa and Macaronesia
There are no known records of Sousa teuszii from Ghana. Limited cetacean surveys and extensive studies on the cetaceans found in fisheries bycatch indicate that the lack of observations is probably a true reflection of the species absence in this country’s waters.
Threats and trends
Given the high levels of cetacean bycatch recorded in Ghana’s fisheries (Debrah et al. 2010), it is possible that Sousa teuszii has been locally extirpated.
Report a sighting or stranding by emailing email@example.com
Joseph Sefah Debrah
Telephone: +233 244203020
Relevant country-specific references
- Collins, T., 2015. Re-assessment of the Conservation Status of the Atlantic Humpback Dolphin (Sousa teuszii), Using the IUCN Red List Criteria. In Advances in marine biology Volume 72, pp. 47-77). Academic Press.
- Debrah, J. S., P. K. Ofori-Danson, and K. Van Waerebeek. 2010. An update on the catch composition and other aspects of cetacean exploitation in Ghana. SC/62/SM10, International Whaling Commission.
- Ofori-Danson, P. K., K. Van Waerebeek, and S. Debrah. 2003. A survey for the conservation of dolphins in Ghanaian coastal waters. Journal of the Ghana Science Association 5:45-54.
- Van Waerebeek, K., Barnett, L., Camara, A., Cham, A., Diallo, M., Djiba, A., Jallow, A.O., Ndiaye, E., Bilal, A.O. and Bamy, I.L., 2004. Distribution, status, and biology of the Atlantic humpback dolphin, Sousa teuszii (Kukenthal, 1892). Aquatic Mammals, 30(1), pp.56-83.
- Van Waerebeek, K., P. K. Ofori-Danson, and J. Debrah. 2009. The cetaceans of Ghana, a validated faunal checklist. West African Journal of Applied Ecology 15:61-90.
- Weir CR, Collins T. 2015. A Review of the Geographical Distribution and Habitat of the Atlantic Humpback Dolphin (Sousa teuszii). In: Jefferson TA, Curry BC editors. Advances in Marine Biology Volume 72: Humpback dolphins (Sousa spp.) current status and conservation: Part I. Academic Press. p. 79-117.