International or regional conventions
Benin is a member/signatory to the following international and regional Conventions related to cetacean conservation:
- International Whaling Commission (since 2002)
- Convention on Migratory Species (since 1986)
- The Abidjan convention
- Memorandum of Understanding concerning the Conservation of the Manatee and Small Cetaceans of Western Africa and Macaronesia
A single sighting recorded west of Cotonou in 2013 (Zwart and Weir, 2014). This sighting is also described in Van Waerebeek et al. (2017) and its close proximity to the sightings in Togo, as well as the homogeneity of the Togo-Benin coastline suggests that cross border movements are possible.
Threats and trends
No abundance estimates or detailed information on threats are available for this country.
Report a sighting or stranding to the first contact listed below or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
We are still searching for local partners in this country. Please contact us if you are based in Benin and can help!
Relevant country-specific references
- Collins, T., 2015. Re-assessment of the Conservation Status of the Atlantic Humpback Dolphin (Sousa teuszii), Using the IUCN Red List Criteria. In Advances in marine biology Volume 72, pp. 47-77). Academic Press.
- Van Waerebeek, K., Barnett, L., Camara, A., Cham, A., Diallo, M., Djiba, A., Jallow, A.O., Ndiaye, E., Bilal, A.O. and Bamy, I.L., 2004. Distribution, status, and biology of the Atlantic humpback dolphin, Sousa teuszii (Kukenthal, 1892). Aquatic Mammals, 30(1), pp.56-83.
- Van Waerebeek, K., M. Uwagbae, G. Segniagbeto, I. L. Bamy, and I. Ayissi. 2015. New records of Atlantic humpback dolphin in Guinea, Nigeria, Cameroon and Togo underscore fisheries pressure and generalised marine bushmeat demand. bioRxiv:035337.
- Weir, C. R., and T. Collins. 2015. A Review of the Geographical Distribution and Habitat of the Atlantic Humpback Dolphin (Sousa teuszii ). In: T. A. Jefferson and B. C. Curry, editors, Advances in Marine Biology Volume 72. Advances in Marine Biology No. Volume 72. Academic Press. p. 79-117.
- Zwart, S. J., and C. R. Weir. 2014. Filling in the gaps: first record of Sousa teuszii in Benin (Gulf of Guinea: Africa). Marine Biodiversity Records 7:e59.