International or regional conventions
The Republic of Guinea is a member/signatory to the following international or regional Conventions related to cetacean conservation:
- International Whaling Commission (since 2000)
- Convention on Migratory Species (since 1993)
- The Abidjan convention
- Memorandum of Understanding Concerning the Conservation of the Manatee and Small Cetaceans of Western Africa and Macaronesia
“The species is documented from a sighting (Cadenat, 1956) and capture (Van Waerebeek et al., 2004) in the Conakry region of southern Guinea. Weir (2015) recently reported eight sightings from the wider Río Nuñez region of northern Guinea.”
Threats and trends
No abundance estimates are available for Guinea, but Bamy et al. (2007) report on bycatch of Sousa teuszii in the Bay of Sangareah.
Report a sighting or stranding by emailing email@example.com or contacting one of the country focal points below.
Relevant country-specific references
- Bamy, I., K. Van Waerebeek, S. Bah, M. Dia, B. Kaba, N. Keita, and S. Konate. 2010. Species occurrence of cetaceans in Guinea, including humpback whales with southern hemisphere seasonality. Marine Biodiversity Records 3:e48.
- Bamy, I. L., K. Van Waerebeek, S. S. Bah, M. Dia, B. Kaba, N. Keita, S. Konate, and H. Tall. 2006. The cetaceans of Guinea, a first check-list of documented species. SC/58/O15, International Whaling Commission.
- Collins, T., 2015. Re-assessment of the Conservation Status of the Atlantic Humpback Dolphin (Sousa teuszii), Using the IUCN Red List Criteria. In Advances in marine biology Volume 72, pp. 47-77). Academic Press.
- Van Waerebeek, K., Barnett, L., Camara, A., Cham, A., Diallo, M., Djiba, A., Jallow, A.O., Ndiaye, E., Bilal, A.O. and Bamy, I.L., 2004. Distribution, status, and biology of the Atlantic humpback dolphin, Sousa teuszii (Kukenthal, 1892). Aquatic Mammals, 30(1), pp.56-83.
- Van Waerebeek, K., M. Uwagbae, G. Segniagbeto, I. L. Bamy, and I. Ayissi. 2015. New records of Atlantic humpback dolphin in Guinea, Nigeria, Cameroon and Togo underscore fisheries pressure and generalised marine bushmeat demand. bioRxiv:035337.
- Van Waerebeek, K., M. Uwagbae, G. H. Segniagbeto, I. L. Bamy, and I. Ayissi. 2017. New records of Atlantic humpback dolphin in Guinea, Nigeria, Cameroon and Togo underscore fisheries pressure and generalised marine bushmeat demand. Revue d’Ecologie (Terre et Vie) 72:192-205.
- Weir, C. R. 2015. Photo-identification and habitat use of Atlantic humpback dolphins Sousa teuszii around the Río Nuñez Estuary in Guinea, West Africa. African Journal of Marine Science 37:325-334. doi: https://doi.org/10.2989/1814232X.2015.1069757
- Weir, C. R., and T. Collins. 2015. A Review of the Geographical Distribution and Habitat of the Atlantic Humpback Dolphin (Sousa teuszii ). In: T. A. Jefferson and B. C. Curry, editors, Advances in Marine Biology Volume 72. Advances in Marine Biology No. Volume 72. Academic Press. p. 79-117.