International or regional conventions
Gabon is a member/signatory to the following international or regional Conventions related to cetacean conservation:
- International Whaling Commission (since 2002)
- Convention on Migratory Species (since 2008)
- The Abidjan convention
- Memorandum of Understanding Concerning the Conservation of the Manatee and Small Cetaceans of Western Africa and Macaronesia
Atlantic humpback dolphins have been documented along Gabon’s coastline from the Libreville Area and Port Gentil as far south as Mayumba. Records are concentrated in the southern half of the country where dedicated cetacean research has been conducted from Iguela, Gamba and Mayumba.
Threats and trends
No abundance estimates are available for any of the regions where studies have been conducted, but trends in sighting frequency over survey years indicate a possible decline. Dolphin sightings occur in areas known to be used by artisanal gillnet fisheries.
Report a sighting or stranding by emailing email@example.com or the first contact listed below.
Judicaël Régis KEMA KEMA
Agence Nationale des Parcs Nationaux (ANPN)
Relevant country-specific references
- Collins, T., 2015. Re-assessment of the Conservation Status of the Atlantic Humpback Dolphin (Sousa teuszii), Using the IUCN Red List Criteria. In Advances in marine biology Volume 72, pp. 47-77). Academic Press.
- Collins T, Boumba R, Thonio J, Parnell R, VanLeeuwe H, Ngouessono S, Rosenbaum H. 2010. The Atlantic humpback dolphin (Sousa teuszii ) in Gabon and Congo: cause for optimism or concern? Document presented to the Scientific Committee of the International Whaling Commission, SC/62/SM9: 19p.
- Collins T, Ngouessono S, Rosenbaum HC (eds). 2004. A note on recent surveys for Atlantic humpback dolphins, Sousa teuszii (Kukenthal, 1892) in the coastal waters of Gabon. International Whaling Commission Report No. SC/56/SM23.
- Collins, T., S. Strindberg, R. Mboumba, E. Dilambaka, J. Thonio, C. Mouissou, R. Boukaka, G. K. Saffou, L. Buckland, R. H. Leeney, R. Antunes, and H. Rosenbaum. 2013. Progress on Atlantic humpback dolphin conservation and research efforts in Congo and Gabon. Document presented to the Scientific Committee of the International Whaling Commission SC/65a/SM16 Rev:24p.
- Minton G, Kema Kema JR, Todd A, Korte L, Maganga PB, Migoungui Mouelet JR, Nguema AM, Moussavou E, Nguélé GK. 2017. Multi-stakeholder collaboration yields valuable data for cetacean conservation in Gamba, Gabon. African Journal of Marine Science, 39: 423-433.
- Van Waerebeek, K., Barnett, L., Camara, A., Cham, A., Diallo, M., Djiba, A., Jallow, A.O., Ndiaye, E., Bilal, A.O. and Bamy, I.L., 2004. Distribution, status, and biology of the Atlantic humpback dolphin, Sousa teuszii (Kukenthal, 1892). Aquatic Mammals, 30(1), pp.56-83.
- Weir CR, Collins T. 2015. A Review of the Geographical Distribution and Habitat of the Atlantic Humpback Dolphin (Sousa teuszii). In: Jefferson TA, Curry BC editors. Advances in Marine Biology Volume 72: Humpback dolphins (Sousa spp.) current status and conservation: Part I. Academic Press. p. 79-117.